Pular para o conteúdo principal

Gírias e expressões idiomáticas em inglês usadas no escritório

Slangs & Idiomas at the office

Ted and Jenny work in the same office. Betty is their boss. Check out their conversation:
(Ted e Jenny trabalham no mesmo escritório. Betty é a chefe deles. Confira a conversa:
  • Jenny: Hey Ted! What’s up. You look bummed.
  • Ted: I am. I’ve been working 24/7 this week to finish the presentation for the big meeting next week.
  • Jenny: So how is it going?
  • Ted: Terrible. I showed it to Betty this week and she said it was no good. It really burns me up.
  • Jenny: No way!
  • Ted: Yeah, so now, I’m back to square one.
  • Jenny: That stinks. I’m sorry to hear that.
Now, let’s look at the slang and idioms used in the conversation:
(Agora vamos olhar para as expressões idiomáticas e gírias:)

Bummed means disappointed. We often use be, seem & look with bummed”
Bummed significa desapontado. Nós sempre usamos be, seem & look com bummed
  • You look bummed.
  • Ted seems bummed today. I wonder what happened.
  • I’m bummed. My car broke down today.
24/7 (twenty-four/seven) means twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week. We use this both literally to refer to time, and figuratively to mean non-stop.
24/7 (twenty-four/seven) significa 24 horas por dia, sete vezes por semana. Nós usamos para nós referirmos ao tempo, significando algo que não tem parada.
  • The convenience store is open 24/7 (literal meaning: the store never closes)
  • I’ve been working 24/7 this week to finish the presentation (figurative meaning: I have worked very hard and a lot of hours)
Burns [someone] up means makes [someone] very upset. We often use words referring to fire and high temperature to talk about being upset or angry.
Burns [alguém] up significa fazer (alguém) ficar muito triste. Nós sempre usamos palavras referindo-se ao foco ou temperaturas altas para dizer que alguém está triste ou bravo. Algo como: fulano está fervendo de raiva em Português.
  • The boss made me redo my presentation. It really burns me up.
  • Inconsiderate drivers really burn me up.
Back to square one means you need to do something from the beginning again. Even though you completed the task, you need to redo it.
Back to square one significa que você precisa fazer alguma coisa a partir do início novamente. Mesmo que você tenha completado a tarefa, você precisará refazer tudo.
  • The boss didn’t like my presentation, so now I am back to square one. (I have to redo my presentation)
  • I just assembled this des, but I am missing a part. I need to go back to square one. (I have to take it apart, and try to assemble it once more from step 1)
That stinks means “that’s too bad” or “that’s a shame.” We use that stinks when we respond to hearing negative or bad news:
That stinks  significa "isso é muito ruim" ou "isso é uma vergonha." Usamos que algo cheira mal, que fede, quando respondemos a ouvir notícias negativas ou ruim:
  • Joe didn’t get the promotion? That stinks.
  • The restaurant ran out of my favorite dish! That stinks.
Practice questions: Answer the questions in a full sentence and be sure to use the key expressions in your answer:
Pratique as prguntas. Respoinda a estas questões numa sentença complea e tenha certeza de usar as excpressões corretas em sua resposta.
  1. What has made you bummed recently?
  2. Have you ever worked 24/7?
  3. What has happened at work or school that burns you up?
  4. Talk about the last time you did something, but then had to go back to square one.
  5. Talk about a situation where you wanted to say, that stinks.
Thanks for studying with me today. I hope you don’t have to work too hard!

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

EXERCÍCIOS COM O VERBO TO BE PARA O NÍVEL BÁSICO

Verbos Irregulares em Inglês

Mapa mental verbos modais