10 expressões que significam que você está com sono (em inglês)


Here are ten different ways to say sleep!
  • I’m going to catch some z’s ← “z” is the sound we use to represent sleeping (often “Zzz”) and of you catch some of those “Z’s,” then you are going to sleep!
  • I’m going to crash ← When two objects hit each other (like two cars) we say they crashed. When you are really tired, you body will crash into the bed!
  • I’m going to get some shut-eye ← When you shut your eyes, you can sleep! Note that this slang mentions the singular eye (shut-eye) and not the plural (shut-eyes.)
  • I’m going to hit the hay ← Hay is the kind of fry grass that they put down for some farm animals to sleep on. Perhaps a long time ago, beds were filled with hay.
  • I’m going to hit the sack ← A sack is a big bag, like the bag that rice comes in. In the old days, they would fill up the empty rice sack with something soft (like duck feathers) and make it a pillow.
  • nodded off ← When you move your head up and down (the “yes” gesture) we call that action a “nod.” Sometimes if you fall asleep on a bus or a train, your head “nods” to the “off” position!
  • I’m going to snooze ← I think the sound of the word snooze is like the sound a person who is snoring makes.
  • I’m need to get forty winks ← A wink is when you quickly close and then open one eye. If you do that 40 times, you may start to feel sleepy. Try it!
  • I’m going to turn in ← When you fold down the blankets to get into bed, that action is called “turn down the bed,” so I think this phrase comes from there. You turn down the bed and then turn in (into the bed)
  • I’m going to take a nap ← A nap is a short sleep in the daytime. We also say, take a cat nap and take a power nap.
Practice time!
Answer this question in the comments below, but use an idiom from the lesson:
What time did you go to bed last night?


http://www.myhappyenglish.com/free-english-lesson/2016/03/05/10-slang-expressions-meaning-sleep/?mc_cid=e916bf6ee5&mc_eid=704c3c7dde

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

EXERCÍCIOS COM O VERBO TO BE PARA O NÍVEL BÁSICO

Verbos Irregulares em Inglês

Mapa mental verbos modais