Getting to know you

Expressing likes and dislikes 
Describing people, places and things 
Offering, accepting and refusing

Learn

To Like, To Look Like, To Be Like

The questions:-

What does he like? 
What does he look like?
What would he like?
What is he like?
How is he?


What is the difference between these questions?

Like

As a verb like can mean to enjoy or approve of.
For example:-
"I like your new car."
Like can also mean similar to or in the same way.
For example:-
Q. "What does he look like?"
A. "He looks like his brother."
The expression would like is used when we make requests and offers.
For example:-
"I' d like another glass of wine, please."
However "What is he/she/it like?" is a specific question about the personality of someone or the attributes of something, here you do not use like in the answer.
For example:-
Q. "What is he like?" - A. "He is very nice."
Q. "What is it like?" - A. "It is very reliable."


Some answers (about me):-

The question
What you would ask me?
What would my answer be?

What do I like to drink?

What do you like to drink?
I like tea and coffee, I also like wine and beer. I don't like alcopops.

What do I like to eat?

What do you like to eat?
I like pasta and pizza, I also like fruit. I don't like fatty meat.

What do I look like?

What do you look like?
I am medium height and a little overweight. I have long dark hair, a fair complexion and hazel eyes. Some people say that I am attractive, but I don't think I am.

Who do I look like?

Who do you look like?
Some people say I look like Nana Mouskouri. I don't think I do.

What am I like?

What are you like?
I think I am quite nice. My husband says that I am impatient, but I don't think I am. I think that I am very patient. A lot of people say that I have a good sense of humour.
What is my house like?
What is your house like?
It's quite small. It has a kitchen, bathroom, living room and two bedrooms.

!Note - Like is not normally used in the continuous form, you shouldn't say "I am liking ...".

http://www.learn-english-online.org/Lesson42/Lesson42.htm


Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

EXERCÍCIOS COM O VERBO TO BE PARA O NÍVEL BÁSICO

Verbos Irregulares em Inglês

Mapa mental verbos modais