Using Bet, I Bet, and Betcha

I’ll bet you’re going to enjoy this lesson! Basically, the verb bet means to place a wager. However, in casual, informal, conversational English, there are a number of other ways we can use bet, so for today’s English lesson, let’s check them out!

Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
http://www.myhappyenglish.com/?powerpress_pinw=13741-podcast


  • Look at those dark clouds. I bet it’s gonna rain today.
  • I bet the boss is going to make us work overtime again.
  • Jack is so forgetful. I bet he doesn’t remember we have a meeting today.
  • I bet it’s gonna rain today. or I’ll bet it’s gonna rain today.
  • Look at those dark clouds. Betcha it’s gonna rain today.
  • Betcha the boss is going to make us work overtime again.
  • Jack is so forgetful. Betcha he doesn’t remember we have a meeting today.
  • Do you think Jack will be on time today?
  • I wouldn’t bet on it.
  • I hope the boss let’s us go home early today. What do you think?
  • I wouldn’t bet on it.
  • Would you like some more coffee?
  • You bet!
  • I have an extra ticket for tonight’s Yankees game. Do you want to go?
  • You bet! Thanks!

http://www.myhappyenglish.com/2016/07/06/408-using-bet-i-bet-and-betcha/?utm_source=Happy+English&utm_campaign=7ffa0f7799-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_390ad185ce-7ffa0f7799-68810789&mc_cid=7ffa0f7799&mc_eid=704c3c7dde

Bet” é uma das 600 palavras mais usadas no inglês americano falado. Cerca de 60% dos seus usos é na expressão “I bet“. Devido a esta alta ocorrência, nada mais justo do que aprendê-la e fazer com que ela se torne parte do seu modo de falar inglês.

Ao pé da letra, “I bet” significa “Eu aposto“. Mas só isto não basta para você dizer que já sabe usar a expressão. É importante saber algo mais.
Por exemplo, “I bet” é geralmente usada para introduzir um comentário que vamos fazer:
  • I bet he wasn’t there. ( Aposto que ele não tava lá.)
  • I bet no one noticed. (Aposto que ninguém percebeu.)
  • I bet you’re really tired. (Aposto que você tá bastante cansado.)
  • I bet she won’t come to the party. (Aposto que ela não vai vir pra festa.)
  • I bet there’s nobody there. (Aposto que não tem ninguém lá.)
I bet” é também usado quando alguém diz algo e nós então queremos dizer que compreendemos a situação. Neste uso “I bet” tem o mesmo sentido de “I’m sure“:

  • A) The party was really awesome. (A festa foi simplesmente fantástica.)
  • B) Yeah, I bet. (Tenho certeza que sim!)
  • A) I really freaked out. (Eu fiquei com muito medo.)
  • B) I bet! (Tenho certeza que sim.)
https://www.inglesnapontadalingua.com.br/2008/10/expresso-i-bet.html


You betcha!

Inf. Yes!; You can be sure of it! (Literally, You bet, you.) Will I be there? You betcha. Can I? You betcha!




Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

EXERCÍCIOS COM O VERBO TO BE PARA O NÍVEL BÁSICO

Verbos Irregulares em Inglês

Mapa mental verbos modais