Must, mustn´t, don´t need - British English

1. The use of must, must not (mustn't) and need not (needn't)

The modals must, must not and need not have the same form regardless the subject. There is no ending with he/she/it.
► If you want to say the sth. is unnecessary, use need not, not must not. (The negation of mustmeans not allowed to.)
I must play football. = I have to play football.
I need not play football. = I do not need to play football. = I do not have to play football.
I must not play football. = I am not allowed to play football.
You can use must only with Simple Present. If you want to use it with other tenses, you need the form have to. This form is not the same regardless the subject. Look at the following table.
ModalSubstitutes
I must play footballI have to play football.
I need not play football.I do not need to play football.
I do not have to play football.
I must not play football.I am not allowed to play football.
The modal must can be used in the Simple Present only, so use the substitute have to with other tenses. The form have to has the same form regardless the subject.
PronounsModalSubstitutes in the Simple Present
I, we, you, theyI must play football.I have to play football.
he, she, itHe must play football.He has to play football.

2. Sentences and questions with have to

2.1. have to in the Simple Present

PronounsAffirmative sentencesNegative sentencesQuestions
I, we, you, theyI have to get upearly.I do not have to get upearly.Do I have to get upearly?
he, she, itShe has to get upearly.She does not have to get up early.Does she have to get upearly?

2.2. had to in the Simple Past

PronounsAffirmative sentencesNegative sentencesQuestions
I, he, she, it, we, you, theyI had to get upearly.I did not have to get upearly.Did I have to get upearly?

2.3. Affirmative sentences with must

ModalSubstituteTense
I must play football.I have to play football.Simple Present
not possibleI had to play football.Simple Past
not possibleI will have to play football.will-future

2.4. Negations with must not, mustn't

ModalSubstituteTense
I must not play football.I am not allowed to play football.Simple Present
not possibleI was not allowed to play football.Simple Past
not possibleI will not be allowed to play football.will-future

2.5. Negations with need not, needn't, don't need, don't have to

ModalSubstituteTense
I need not play football.I do not have to play football.Simple Present
I do not need to play football.
not possibleI did not have to play football.Simple Past
I did not need to play football.
not possibleI will not have to play football.will-future
I will not need to play football.

2.6. Questions with need and have to

ModalSubstituteTense
Must he play football?Does he have to playfootball?Simple Present
Does he need to play football?
The modal must is not used in the Simple Past.Did he have to playfootball?Simple Past
Did he need to play football?
The modal must is not used in the will-future.Will he have to playfootball?will-future
Will he need to play football?
The form need is not used as a modal, this is a main verb. This form cannot be put before another verb.
I needn't sing. (Here needn't is a modal. The main verb is sing.)
We need a new computer. (Here need is a main verb).
I need sing. (This sentence is wrong.)

http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/grammar/must.htm

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

EXERCÍCIOS COM O VERBO TO BE PARA O NÍVEL BÁSICO

Verbos Irregulares em Inglês

USO DO THERE IS - THERE ARE