55 girias mais usadas em Inglês e seus significados

1. UNREAL
Algo que é incrivelmente legal
I love this party, it’s just unreal!

2. PROPS

Isso significa respeito, reconhecimento
I know he failed the test, but you’ve got to give him props for trying.

3. KUDOS

Outra forma para respeito, reconhecimento
Kudos for organising this party. It’s brilliant!

4. BOTTOM LINE

O ponto principal
The bottom line is we just don’t have enough money to make it work.

5. DISS

Quando uma pessoa desrespeita outra.
Stop dissing her behind her back. Show some respect!

6. DIG

Gostar realmente de algo
Hey, I dig your new style. Where did you buy that T-shirt?



7. BOB’S YOUR UNCLE

Esta é uma expressão bem utilizado no Reino Unido. É adicionado ao final das frases, e significa algo COMO É ISSO!
  • How did you make this cake? It’s delicious!
  • Well, I just mixed in the batter thoroughly, poured it into a cake pan, baked it for 30 minutesand Bob’s your uncle!

8. BUDGE UP

Quando você pedir a alguém para se mover e dar espaço para você
 I want to sit down too, could you budge up a little please?

9. ACE

Isso tem dois significados, algo que é impressionante, muito legal ou para conseguir algo com perfeição, muito facilmente
- Ace! I just got a promotion at work!
- Robert aced his physics exam!

10. ALL RIGHT?

O mesmo de: ‘hello, how are you?’ Forma de cumprimento informal.
  • All right?
  • Good thanks, you all right?

11. FULL OF BEANS

Isto significa ter muita energia
All the children were full of beans at the party today. I couldn’t get any of them to sit still!

12. BLATANT

Algo que é realmente obvio
She’s blatantly very annoyed, everyone can see it apart from you.

13. PEAR SHAPED

Isto significa lago que terminou em desastre
I was trying to organise a surprise birthday party for her, but it’s all gone pear shaped!

14. PIECE OF CAKE

Quando alguém está ostentando ou eles pensam que algo é extremamente fácil de fazer, eles usariam essa expressão. algo no português como: É mamata, melzinho na chupeta. 
  • What did you think of the exam? I thought it was really difficult.
  • No, it was a piece of cake!

15. BLIMEY

Exclamação de surpresa
Blimey, look at all this mess here! I’d only left the house for an hour, and look what you’ve done!

16. BOTCH

Há duas maneiras de usar essa expressão - 'para estragar alguma coisa "ou" para fazer um trabalho malfeito ". Ambas significam que o trabalho realizado não era de alto padrão, ou foi obra desajeitada
The builder did a terrible job on the roof. He just botched it up, and it still leaks every time it rains!

17. CHEERS

Usado quando beber com os amigos para saudar ou fazer um brinde (levantem suas taças e brindar-los juntos)
Cheers everyone! Happy birthday to John!

18. SMASHING

Isto significa que algo é fantástico
I had a smashing time on holiday, it was so much fun!

19. SOD’S LAW

Este é um outro nome para a Lei de Murphy - o que pode dar errado, vai dar errado
  • I wore my pretty new dress, because it was a sunny day, but as soon as I stepped out of the house, it started raining, and I got completely soaked!
  • Sod’s Law!

20. CHIN WAG

Usto significa ter uma longa e agradável conversa, com alguém. Você provavelmente pode dizer porquê!
I saw Mary after such a long time yesterday! We had a lovely chin wag together, like the good old days.

21. CHUFFED

Usado quando alguém está realmente satisfeito com alguma coisa
My mum bought me a fantastic car when I passed my driving test. I was chuffed to bits!

22. CRAM

Isto significa que estudar muito em um curto período de tempo
I was so busy with my family before the exam, that I only had three days to cram in all the revision work!

23. NICE ONE

Pode ser usado quando alguém faz algo particularmente impressionante
  • I published my first book last year, and I’ve already started working on the sequel!
  • Nice one! You’re doing really well.

24. CRIKEY

Uma exclamação de surpresa
  • I went shopping today! (comes in with lots of bags)
  • Crikey! Have you spent all of our savings??!!

25. DEAR

Algo caro
I avoid going shopping into the town centre nowadays, everything is so dear!

26. FAFF

Isto é, quando alguém procrastina, ou perde tempo pensando muito
Come on we have to go now. Stop faffing around, we’re going to be late!

27. DO

Outra palavra para festa
Are you going to Lizzie’s birthday do next week? 

28. FLOG

Vender algo
I managed to flog my car for a really good price!

29. FORTNIGHT

Duas semanas. Abreviação de ‘fourteen nights’
I’ve been really ill for the past fortnight, and still haven’t recovered.

30. GOBSMACKED

Isso significa espantado (seu gob é a sua boca, e se você bater o seu gob, seria de espanto!)
I can’t believe I passed that exam! I thought I was going to fail, I’m completelygobsmacked!

31. SPLASH OUT

Quando voc^çe gasta muito dinheiro                       
I wanted to give Sarah a special treat for her birthday, so I splashed out on a very romantic weekend away.

32. GRUB / NOSH

Comida                                                                                             
I’m going to get some grub for myself from the local takeaway. Do you want anything?

33. BEE’S KNEES

Algo ou alguém espetacular
- You should see my new sound-system, it’s the bee’s knees!- I don’t like Harvey very much, he thinks he’s the bee’s knees!

34. GUTTED

Quando alguém está realmente decepcionado
I’m so gutted I failed my driving test, again!

35. PEANUTS

Quando algo está barato, ou quanto o ganho é pouco
- I hate my job. I have to work such long hours, and I get paid peanuts.- You should buy your clothes on-line. You can find some great designs for peanuts! 

36. HAGGLE

Para discutir sobre, e tentar negociar o preço de algo que você quer comprar
- The last time I went shopping with my mum, she was haggling for something that was already really cheap!
- I managed to haggle the price of this shirt down by 25%!

37. JOLLY

Você pode ouvir as pessoas usam isso de todas as maneiras, mas basicamente significa "muito". Assim, "bom demais" significaria "muito bom"
  • Don’t worry, I will pay you back before the end of this month.
  • I should jolly well think so!

38. THROW A SPANNER IN THE WORKS

Esta é uma expressão que significa algo para destruir
I managed to keep the surprise a secret, right up until the day before my sister’s birthday, then he threw a spanner in the works by telling her!

39. KIP 

Um sono curto, cochilo, uma soneca, um cochilo poder, ou uma soneca.
Why don’t you try and have a kip before everyone gets here? You won’t have time to rest later.


40. WIND UP

Isto tem um par de significados. Se algo que você faz é uma 'wind up' significa que você está tirando sarro de alguém - você poderia ser chamado de um comerciante de wind-up se você fizer isso.
However, if you are ‘wound up’ it means you are annoyed.
- John really is a wind-up merchant, but the girl he was picking on was so gullible!
- I was just winding her up for fun, but she took offence to it and got really angry!

41. MATE

Amigo, companheiro
I’m going to the cinema with my mates tonight.

42. NOT MY CUP OF TEA

Esta é uma palavra comum que significa que algo não está ao seu gosto.
I don’t really like this sort of music. It’s just not my cup of tea.

43. PORKIES

Isso significa dizer mentiras. Ela vem de cockney rhyming slang. Abreviação de "Porky pies", significando "pork pies", que rima com lies - mentiras!
Don’t listen to her, she’s telling porkies!

44. ROW

Argumentar (ruma  com ‘cow’ - vaca)
My brother had a huge row with his girlfriend yesterday. He’s really upset!

45. DONKEY’S YEARS

Se alguem duz ‘I haven’t seen you in donkey’s years’, significa que não a vê a muito tempo
Hi Sarah! What a surprise to see you here. I haven’t seen you in donkey’s years! How have you been?

46. EASY PEASY

Um termo infantil para algo muito fácil
I could make that for you, if you like? It’s easy peasy!

47. SORTED

Quando alguém lhe pergunta sobre um problema já resolvido, você poderia dizer isso.
voce também pode dizer“get it sorted”, quando você está falando de alguém para começar com algo que eles têm que fazer.
  • What’s happening about that roof leak then?
  • Oh that’s sorted now. I found a really good builder to do the job.

48. STROP

Se alguém está de mau humor ou sendo particularmente miserável, você diria que eles estão  ‘being stroppy’, ou ‘throwing a strop’
Janet would you please cheer up? It’s your birthday, don’t be so stroppy!

49. CHEERIO

Maneira de se despedir entre amigos
Right, I have to go now, see you soon. Cheerio!

50. WANGLE

Desejando boa sorte
I can’t believe he managed to wangle an upgrade on their airline seats, AND the honeymoon suite in their hotel!

51. BLINDING

Quando algo é um blinding success, significa que é incrivel
They had a blinding party after their wedding ceremony. Everyone had such a great time!

52. WONKY

Quando algo não está seguro, está instável, você diz que está wonky.
I can’t eat my dinner at this table. It’s wonky and won’t stop wobbling!

53. ZONKED

Exausto, esgotado
He had a lot of fun at his birthday party earlier, but he’s completely zonked out now!

54. DODGY

Algo ou alguém em que não se deve confiar
I saw a few dodgy-looking people standing around along that quiet street near our house, so just to be on the safe side, I notified the police.
This food looks a bit dodgy, it might have passed its expiry date. I don’t think we should eat it.

55. LEG IT

Outra maneira de dizer, Corre, ou Acelera!
I went out on Halloween night, and someone jumped out from behind a bush to scare me. I was so frightened, that I just legged it all the way back home!


http://www.myenglishteacher.eu/blog/british-and-american-slang-words/?utm_source=MET+Blog%27s+subscribers&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6d5a1b8121-

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

EXERCÍCIOS COM O VERBO TO BE PARA O NÍVEL BÁSICO

Verbos Irregulares em Inglês

Mapa mental verbos modais